Sunday, August 24, 2014

Day 79: Jellystone Campground - Nature Not Required

Day 79: Saturday August 23rd, 2014.
North Hudson, NY. 0 miles. 

Checking into the campground and setting up a tent in the rain, I didn't have much that was dry.  I decided to extend my stay at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Campground for another day, to have a chance to dry things out, and to give my legs a rest after 5 hard days of riding.  

Camping at Jellystone is like going camping at a theme park.  There's lots to do here, almost none of which is related to the surrounding incredible natural environment of the Adirondacks.  

There's a jumpy pillow you can bounce on.


Train ride anyone?  


Yesterday, I was startled by the number of deer around the roadway throughout my ride.  Sometimes, I would be right next to them and only realize it at the last minute.  Today, at Jellystone, they have deer that are, well, more reliable.  They're always around, hanging out amidst the mini-golf couse.


You can try your hand at mining in a slurry that contains fossils and "gemstones".


And, there's a lovely swimming pool to cool off in on those hot humid days of Summer.


But, if you're still bored, there's always face painting for $10.


Since it's Saturday night, they did put together a nice chicken BBQ for $9 per person.


I learned that they soak their ears of corn in a barrel of water overnight before barbequeing them so that they are steamed when cooked.  I thought that was a good idea.


The finished product was good.  They ran out of corn, so I was given two dinner rolls instead.


The other guests and families staying at Jellystone were loving the place, having a great time.  I enjoyed kicking back on the deck relaxing, tuning up my bike, and visiting with a few of the other guests.  Ron and Kathy invited me over to site 71 for a Coors Light, and to chat about growing up in Queens, their kids and the outrageous cost of books and college tuition, hanging out at Lake George, their other retreat, and whatnot.  They reminded me before I left their site that there was going to be a DJ later tonight after the BBQ, with a dance contest.  "We'll see ya there!", Kathy said.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! The chicken looks burnt to me...hope it tasted better than it looks.
    At least you are up to date on the blog...
    Happy trails to you!

    ReplyDelete