Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Day 69: Rock & Roll Astro Van, Geneva On The Lake

Day 69:  Wednesday August 13th, 2014.
Cleveland, OH to Geneva on the Lake, OH.  59.8 miles.


Knowing that I could appreciate a good cup of coffee, the gal at Sweet Moses soda fountain told me yesterday that I couldn't miss Rising Star Coffee Roaster on my way out of the city.  So, after checking out of the hostel, I made my way over to the small place on the corner of West 29th St and Church Ave.

The majority of the floor space when you walk in is dedicated not to cozy seating and patrons parked, working on their laptops.  Rather, several coffee roasting machines, large bags of green coffee beans, and other equipment dominate the scene.  A small L-shaped counter with a display case was the face of the place.  You choose from a selection of three different fresh roasts, they grind the beans and make one cup at a time, pour-over style.  Also on the menu, a small selection of traditional-style bagels, and custom-made shmears.  I had a sea-salt bagel with cherry-goat cheese spread.  It was so delicious I had a second one.

Across the street, a new juice/smoothie place that recently opened was calling my name.  Recommended to me by Joseph, the shop owner, was the mango-lavender-banana smoothie with maca (don't know what that is!), cashew, and date.  It was deliciously buttery and sweet.  Just what I needed before hitting the road.

From the West side of Cleveland, I made my way over the Cuyahoga River to downtown cleveland.

Winding along the lake, I passed the Cleveland Brown's "First Eneregy" stadium.

Around the boardwalk, I then found myself riding underneath the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, with the entrance on my right.  Too close to pass up, I headed inside for a quick tour.  There's an incredible display of memorabilia, and a chronological history of rock and roll.  It was awesome.  I took a few quick photos, including a guitar and drumset that belonged to the Van Halens.... 

...the touring van and instruments used by Rage Against The Machine....

...and one of Jerry Garcia's guitars.

Pedaling out of Cleveland, my route roughly paralleled the shore of Erie, working my way through mostly residential suburbs.  Finally, the weather pattern had changed, bringing welcomed winds out of the West, and cool temperatures peaking at around 70 degrees Fahrenheit.  It was perfect riding weather.

In the community of Euclid, the route passed through a park that included a beach.  The Westerly winds blowing across the large surface area of Lake Erie generated some pretty sizable waves that were crashing on the rock barriers near the shore.  Shallow, Erie has a reputation for becoming treacherous during storms.

I stopped just short of the resort town of Geneva On The Lake, Ohio, at the campground in Geneva State Park.  The park consists of natural beaches, a freshwater marsh, and lots of mature woodland.  My tent site had a view of the lake beyond a line of cedar cabin rentals.

Situated and cleaned up, I made the 3.5 mile trip through the state park into town for dinner.  Along the way, I passed by Breakwater Beach.  I pulled off the route to check it out, hoping to get a glimpse of the sunset.  The scene was surreal with brilliant colors, and the low sun angle casting shadows in the footsteps left in the sand, created a magnificent texture on the beach.

I continued on through mature woodlands to the town.

Arriving at the town "strip", it was a tourist mecca, with lots of neon lights, arcades, carnival-style games, music blaring, minurature golf, and food stands.

Eddie's Grill was recommended for their burgers and fries.  But, it was packed with people.

Nearby, and much quieter, was Piero's Pasta House, a small mom-&-pop traditional Italian restaurant.  I had a great dinner, and chatted with the owner for a while, before slowly making my way back to the campground for the night.

1 comment:

  1. The town of Geneva on the Lake reminded me of Lake Geneva in the summer. The locals stay out of downtown and the tourists take over. The trials of living in a pretty place on a lake!

    ReplyDelete