Saturday, August 16, 2014

Day 71: Buffalo Soldier, The Anchor Bar, Cat Party

Day 71:  Friday August 15th, 2014.
Erie, PA to Buffalo, NY.  92.2 miles.


At 7:30 am, everyone was up - Kris was getting ready for work and making some delicious coffee, Kristen was busy whipping up a killer breakfast, I was packing up my things, and Coraline was supervising.  We sat around at the small dining table, starting out the day with a breakfast burrito loaded with fresh veggies and cheese, and a side of fruit.  Despite the quick introduction and 12-hour stay, I found it difficult to leave the comfort and warmth that this family has created.  They will be missed!

East of Erie, vineyards became more and more the dominant cover on the landscape, all the way up to the bluffs over the shore of the lake.

Pennsylvania holds onto a relatively narrow strip of shoreline compared to Ohio and New York.  As such, it wasn't long before I found myself crossing another state line.

While not as shwanky and ostentatious as the wineries of Napa Valley or Sonoma, the small wineries in this region had some curb appeal with lush landscaping and fountains to lure travelers into their tasting rooms.

Entering Barcelona, NY, I came upon an old lighthouse made out of stone.  Adjacent to it, a terraced grassy hillside with a few picnic tables overlooking a small harbor.  I made my lunch here and ate while watching a dredge shovel sediment from the floor of the bay into a barge.

To the East, and away from the breakwater, whitecaps steadily moved towards the shore, with an old grounded ship in the foreground.  The weather was great - cool with winds out of the West.  It was the perfect lunch spot.

A bit further, I came to the town of Portland.

Wait a minute!  I wasn't in Maine, nor was I in Oregon.  I guess there's a Portland, NY.  Maybe I should have called my website Portland Cubed!  When I was in Indiana, I found out that there's also a Portland there.  This could get quickly out -of-hand.  I think I'll stick to the original plan.

I passed another roadside vineyard.  This one wasn't producing wine, however.  A sign on the property read, "National Grape Co-Op - Welch's Grower/Owner".

I've read that the New York and Pennsylvania shoreline of Erie is one of the bigger Concord grape producing regions in the U.S.

On several occasions throughout the day, I noticed a border patrol car passing me.  It was a subtle reminder that I was skirting along the U.S.-Canadian border as I rode along Lake Erie.

Looking for a restroom, I stopped at a roadside candy/gift shop.  Out front, a huge colletion of odd statuary cluttered the parking lot and porch.

I particularly like the Statue of Liberty, her torch smothered by a real birds nest.

I rode through a stretch of residential neighborhoods before coming to an open area right alongside the lake.  I stopped to take in the views.  Off in the distance to my right, the wind turbines and tall buildings of Buffalo, NY, my final destination for the day, were in sight.

It wasn't long before I found myself smack in the middle of Buffalo.  I passed through Naval Park, with ships, aircraft, and submarines on display.

I then pedaled through the Cobblestone District, and past the General Mills Factory, alerted to its presence by way of the strong odor of toasted sugary popcorn.

I had arrived in Buffalo, but hadn't yet figured out where I was going to stay.  I wasn't concerned about that as much as I was focused about getting to The Anchor Bar as soon as possible.

For at least a week now, I have been craving buffalo-style chicken wings.  Unable to find a place that offered the spicy, deep-fried, crispy little pieces of heaven, I gave up searching knowing that I would eventually find myself in Buffalo, the birthplace of buffalo-style chicken.  I programmed my GPS to take me directly to the source where the orignal recipe was invented in 1935, The Anchor Bar.

I passed through the core of downtown along the way.  There's an eclectic mix of architectural styles from old to new in the city.

When I turned the corner onto the street I was headed to, my final destination was obvious.

The inside of the place was large, with a big bar area and lots of tables in the dining section.  There's lot's to look at on display around the place while you're waiting for your food.

The options for the famous original buffalo wings include a "single" (10-piece) order, "double" (20-piece) order, or "triple" (30-piece) order.  And, of course, you have the option of mild, medium, or hot.

The wings were delivered hot, and had an incredibly crispy-but-thin outer layer, with juicy chicken under the hood.  The sauce had a distinctive uniqueness that is indescribable, but a cut above the run-of-the-mill buffalo wing you will find anywhere else.

It was absolutely outstanding.  By the time I was half-way through eating them, the place was packed with people.

While I was eating, I was using my phone to search for a place to stay.  I found availability at the Buffalo Hostel, less than a mile away in the Theatre District on Main Street.

For travelling bicyclist, the rates are 50% less than the standard rate.

The receptionist was very friendly and asked if she could take my picture out in front of the hostel to post on their website alongside the other touring bicyclists that have stayed in the past.

Inside, the walls are covered with posters announcing all of the latest shows, events, and other happenings around the city.

Before going to bed, I was reminded by Victoria that today is Junipurr's 5th birthday.  Apparently, I missed a pretty crazy party.

Of course, no birthday would be complete without decorations and a cake.

And, as expected, Bear showed up with a present, looking for a piece of cake.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about walking down memory lane, we have driven that route many times heading for Silver Creek, NY where we played high stakes bingo and wrestled the one arm bandit as often as possible. We would usually stop at that same road side gift shop with all the statues and such. It was always worth a look. On another note, I'm surprised Kris didn't leave with you, if it wasn't for the fact that he had to work, I'm sure he'd be right there with you. They both really enjoyed your visit and were thrilled to find themselves in your blog. Go Judd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disappointed that Junipurr didn't invite Grandma and Grandpa to the party! :) Such cute pictures!
    We give thanks for Pattie's family for providing the comforts of home along your trek!
    Hope you enjoy your next stop as much as we did. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, happy belated birthday to Junipurr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute cats! Yesterday was our 17th wedding anniversary which made me think of you and the rest of the Sears gang. I'm pretty sure the Anchor Bar will be on our food tour. Eric and the kids love wings. Anyway, something else I've noticed is that you leave your bike unlocked outside most places (except Chicago, of course) and it's never harmed. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, I just looked at your route map and realized you're almost to the end! Just a matter of days now. What are we going to do without your posts? I hope there is a big celebration at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope so too, Jovita, and I want a hard copy of this so I can sit in my recliner and read it again and again!

    ReplyDelete