Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Day 4: Gorge-ous Scenery, Transitions, and Mint Oreo Ice Cream

Day 4: Monday June 9th, 2014
Ainsworth State Park, OR to Dechutes River Recreation Area (near Biggs), OR.  77.8 miles


When I woke up around 8 am, Bill was already gone. I packed up and left for about a 15 mi ride East to the nearest town (Cascade Locks) where breakfast is served. My morning ride, staying on the quiet Historic Columbia River Highway (Hwy 30), took me past the massive Bonneville dam.  This highway has been replaced by the newer Hwy 84 that runs parallel. At this point, highway 30 is either a quiet frontage road, or has been converted for many miles into a freshly-paved pedestrian/bike path, preserving it's rich history as the first "scenic" highway in the US. 

This morning ride included about 6 miles of peaceful bike path. Just before Cascade Locks, I noticed a note on the map that said, "Stairwell; equipped with bike wheel groove". Hmmm. I wonder what that means exactly...

Ugh. I had to take all 4 pannier bags off the bike and haul them down the stairs before attempting to move the bike through. When I arrived in Cascade Lock, it was already lunch time.

After refueling, I continued on to Hood River, OR. On the outskirts of town, one of the first things I came upon was DAIRY QUEEN!  Yes!  But wait, before I dive into the familiar, I'll check to see if there's something local in the heart of town. Sure enough, as I rode down the cute main street (Oak St), the inviting front lawn with colored adirondack chairs magnetically pulled my bike to Mike's Ice Cream. Whoa!  The Mint Oreo was tasty!  Then, I crossed the street to finish it off with a well-made cappuccino from the local coffee shop. Sugar and caffeine loaded, I pedaled on. 

Or, should I say, I pedaled UP!  Heading out of Hood River was steep. The climb was well-worth it. I was being routed to the Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail. Closed to cars, this beautiful 8.5 miles is a biker/pedestrian paradise.  

A significant transition happened here. From lush forests extending over the trail, drier conditions prevailed, and more and more oak trees became the dominant species with golden grasses below. As I forged ahead, fewer trees and more grassland was the trend. Occasional sneak peeks of the gorge below could be had. 

I then rode through estates of cherry orchards. It was soooo tempting to stop and pick some fruit, but I stole a picture instead. 

It was getting late as I descended back into the gorge headed to The Dalles. The last few miles heading into town were on a riverfront bike trail that was great. I didn't have a lodging plan here, thinking I would figure it out on the fly. 

I stopped at a good restaurant in town and cleaned my plate of a hearty helping of chicken alfredo while searching for lodging. A few so-so hotels upwards of $100/night. Hmmm. I'll think about it while I do laundry. 

By now, it was 9pm, and my only descent option besides the hotels was a campground about 15 miles further at Deschutes River State Recreation Area. I generally don't like riding at night. But, the river-side camping option sounded refreshing, and it was a beautiful night.  I put on my ridiculously-bright lights and forged ahead in what would be one of the most refreshing evening rides I've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment