Friday, June 6, 2014

Day 1: Pacific Ocean to Astoria, OR

DAY 1: June 6th, 2014.
Pacific Ocean at Fort Stevens State Park, Or, to Astoria, Or.  9.7 miles




After a long travel day yesterday, today was all about setting up the bike and launching from the starting point.  I shipped my bike via Fedex to a bike shop in downtown Astoria called Bikes & Beyond.  For $10, they will receive and hold your bike for you.  They also provided tools and a space to put the bike together (or they will assemble for you at an additional fee).  

I showed up at the shop when they opened at 10 am and spent a good 3 hours assembling, organizing, and checking everything out.  At first sight of the box, I was a bit concerned to find one part of my bike sticking through the side wall of the cardboard.
                                       
It was the nut of the axle pin for the front tire.  I should have removed this piece before shipping, but didn't even think about it.  Not a big deal though.  The bike shop had the spare part for $5.

While I was there, I met two cyclists that are participating in the TransAmerica bicycle race.  Danny (right) from Bakersfied, who happens to be a big fan of Dewar's ice cream, plans to reach the Atlantic in twenty-something days.  Good luck Danny!  Toby, on the left, flew in from Munich to participate in the event.
Toby (left) from Munich, me (middle), and Danny (right) from Bakersfield.
We hit up the Fort George brewery for lunch, where a number of race participants were hanging out.  Then, I said my goodbyes and headed off to start my adventure.

When I started planning this trip, I decided to take a Northern route to avoid the extreme heat and humidity that plagues the South this time of year.  The "Portland to Portland" idea evolved not because of any personal connection with these cities, but because the route I chose happened to end up near these two places.  It was only later that I decided to start my trip with the back tire in the Pacific Ocean, intending to end with my front tire in the Atlantic.  Hence, why I am in Astoria.  Astoria is alongside the mouth of the Columbia River.  To the West by about 10 miles, across the 101 bridge and through Warrenton, is the Pacific Ocean at Fort Stevens State Park.





It is here, where I can't go any further West, that I began my Eastward momentum towards Portland, Maine.  A nice family snapped my photo on the beach with the Pacific Ocean in the background, and I was on my way.

  The scenery is breathtaking here.  Lush green temperate forests surrounded by expanses of water.  The Columbia river is wide at it's mouth, easily confused with the Pacific.  Astoria is a quaint small town with lots of charm and friendly people.  And, to top it off, the weather was gorgeous (a bit windy while crossing the Columbia). 

Astoria Oregon - Looking to the Northeast with the Columbia River and the state of Washington in the background.
There is a lot of neat history in Astoria.  The monuments and tributes to Lewis & Clarke are plentiful.  I stumbled upon the Flavel House, a historic home built in 1885 for Captain George Flavel, who held one of early Oregon's largest fortunes.  The home is now a museum.
The Flavel House of 1885 in Astoria.
The movie Goonies put Astoria on the map when it was released in 1985.  The "Goonies House" is on the list of touristy things to do.  This weekend marks the 29th anniversary of the release of the film.  There are a lot of Goonies fans showing up in town, and there's a series of events throughout the weekend marking the occasion.

Where possible, I will use the Warm Showers Organization to find cycling enthusiasts who are willing to provide free hospitality to me while on tour.  It is a great way to meet friendly locals and learn about the places they live in.  While in Astoria, I stayed at the home of Jason and Meredith.  I felt very welcomed, was provided everything I needed, and enjoyed the expansive views of the Columbia River from their home.

At the home of Jason (right) and Meredith, with the Columbia River in view.
Jason and Meredith are embarking on a really neat adventure of their own.  They are building a "small house" on wheels in their back yard that they will take to their future destination of Sitka, Alaska.  The home has a wood burning stove and other modern amenities. I can't thank them enough for their wonderful hospitality.
The future "small house" of Jason and Meredith.
Dinner was at the new Buoy Beer Company, a fantastic brewery located right on the shore of the Columbia River with expansive views (including bobbing buoys in the background).  They have a great selection of brews.  I tried the porter and it was delicious enough that I thought about taking a growler with me (but, only for a second).  I knew I should have bought the growler cage for my bike!  The food was equally as scrumptious.  I had the melt-in-your-mouth bison burger.  Even the pickle was amazing.  All at reasonable prices too.

The day ended with a fantastic sunset over the Columbia River.  Tomorrow will be the first full day of riding!

Sunset over the Columbia River in Astoria, June 6th, 2014



2 comments:

  1. Oh I am so glad to have found the BlogSpot! Many blessings!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Danny from Bakersfield. Dewar's is the best! I fell in love with their peppermint ice cream milkshake as a kid and I dream about it now as an adult. I took my family there a few years ago and it's now their favorite place, too. They have good taffy, too. I am fascinated by the Warm Showers Organization. Makes me happy to know there are still kind people in America (I can't wait meet more of them along your journey). I love Jason and Meredith's small house. We should all live in a small house. I have heard many great things about Astoria and you added to the impression I already had of that city. I can't wait to visit one day. I'll be sure to go during a Goonie's anniversary. That's one of Eric's favorite movies.

    ReplyDelete